The PCL XL error generally occurs with printers when printing, especially HP LaserJet printers. If you have this PCL XL error on your printer, don't worry. You can fix it quickly and easily.
This error is generated when multiple documents are sent for printing. It is an obstacle of damage to your printer driver. And sometimes your print settings can also be the cause of the error.
Despite your efforts to use secure printing methods, you may still encounter the following printing error: Unsupported protocol.
If you encounter this problem, you can try one of the following troubleshooting tips to resolve it as quickly as possible.
Rename the files associated with your printer
Users indicated that they were able to correct the printer error by renaming the files for their printer. Therefore, it would be worth trying the same solution. These are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + E keys. This should start the file explorer.
- Navigate to this location:
- C: Windows System32 spool drivers x64 3
- Now you need to filter the files, showing only files with the width .gpd. To do this, click on the arrow next to "Type."
- Select the GPD file.
- Modify the file names to suit your needs. However, before renaming these files, we suggest that you create backup copies first.
- Save the changes you have made and restart your computer.
- After starting your system, try to print a document again. Check if the PCL XL error has disappeared.
Enable the "Send true type as bitmap" option.
- To change the printer settings, go to Control Panel> Hardware and Sound.
- Open Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the icon for your printer and select Print Settings.
- Open the Advanced tab.
- In the Printer Features section, you must enable the "Send true type as bitmap" option.
- Confirm by clicking OK and try printing again.
Adjust printer settings
Once the Printing Preferences window is open, click the Advanced tab at the top of the window. From there, select the "Make the most of text and vector" option in the "Print Optimization" menu. This tells your printer that it can accept and print different media content at the same time from the standard text data. Once you have confirmed these settings, your printer should be able to print the desired documents without displaying a PCL XL error.
Try a test print of the last document where the error occurred. If you keep getting the same message, try restarting the printer to make sure the changes have been implemented correctly. At this point, you should be able to successfully complete the printing of your document. Regardless, if you continue to experience problems, you may be able to get additional help by contacting Hewlett Packard's online support teams.
Note that this problem is almost always caused by printer setup alternatives, not the printer hardware itself. With this in mind, you can probably fix this problem without replacing your printer.